Miniature Viking Ship

I am proud that I finished my very first model kit. And as if this wasn’t enough, it was necessary to do some conversions. But let’s get in to it.

Some time ago I bought the Revell Viking Ship 1:50 in a seasonal sale. I intentionally bought it for roleplaying and wargaming. However converting a full display model concerned me – a lot. Mainly I had to cut off the lower part of the hull, so that the ship can be directly placed on a table. But I had no idea how I can draw a valid cutting line on the hull. Finally I found a tip how to do the cutting line on the model. First I glued the two parts of the hull together. Only after a decent amount of drying time I continued. Now I needed to set the ship on the tabletop. I decided to flip the hull upside down and used some binder clips to keep the ship’s hull level. Now I affixed a pen horizontally to a small box, so that the pen is just at the right height. Now I just simply traced the height around the model. Then I used my rotary tool to cut the hull. When you are doing this take care about the power setting of your tool. When set to 2 (out of 6) my tool still melted the plastic. So I reduced the speed to 1.

Now I spray painted everything with burnt umber (Liquitex spray paint burnt umber). Then I added a coat of dry-brush of matte beige (Revell 36189 or GW Baneblade Brown).
I decided to use gold (Revell 36194) for the ship’s head and tail and added some rust effects. I went for green rust. To create the rust wash I thinned down a light green colour (Revell 36155) until it got semi-transparent.

When you start to work on the shields my tip is to keep them in the sprue as long as possible. First I tried to use the decals provided with the kit. But I didn’t like to look. Hence I decided to paint them.

After gluing the shields to the hull I turned to the sail. I put a beige (Kreul 17031 or Revell 36314) base coat on the whole piece. Beige is my off-white color of choice. Finally the sail got its iconic red stripes.
Another challenge I had was to make the sail and the mast removable. I achieved this by adding some small metal rings that can be put over the mast top.
And finally here is the completed build.

As a beginner doing a model kit was quite a challenge. Not from a skill point of view, but from a coordination aspect. Some things should be painted still in the sprue, while others should be painted after assembly. In looking back it was a great decision to prime everything while in the sprue. I am pretty happy about the result.